[Interest] aboutQt (Qt 4.8) dialog lacks vital information -> people relying on it violate license terms(?)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Apr 6 04:00:50 CEST 2014

Em dom 06 abr 2014, às 00:25:17, Jonas Thiem escreveu:
> Please don't take this purely as an annoying nitpick. I would really ask
> you to keep in mind that those issues possibly affect EVERY Qt program
> where the author relies in good faith on the accuracy of the aboutQt
> dialog to safe him from legal trouble and to fulfill all copyright &
> licensing display issues. And I guess that's about every Qt program out
> there.

No one should simply assume a dialog fulfils the legal needs. It doesn't and it
will never do it.

Most of the above requires changes to the documentation. Not to the about
dialog.

What's more, there are a few requirements that cannot be met by a dialog. For
example, everyone needs to distribute Qt themselves, on a server they own or
are responsible for, not rely Qt Project or Digia to have the sources.

Can the dialog be improved? Yes. But "author relies in good faith on the
accuracy of the aboutQt dialog to save him from legal trouble" is just never
going to happen. The dialog will never be enough.