[Interest] Website suggestion: provide proper one-page text only license legalese compilation for Qt 4.8 and Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 28 06:45:54 CEST 2014

Em seg 28 abr 2014, às 06:10:19, Jonas Thiem escreveu:
> To cite a few licenses: "the following two paragraphs appear in all
> copies of this software.", "provided that (i) the above copyright
> notices and this permission notice appear in all copies of the
> software and related documentation", ... (those are all used by Qt
> third-party libs)
>
> I'd assume "in all copies of this software", without explicit
> restriction to source code form, means that binary forms need to
> contain those notices too. From some googling a while ago I think I'm
> not the only one who leans towards that interpretation, but again I
> guess what you and me say is irrelevant anyway since we're not lawyers
> (sorry if you actually are).

Rule 0 of legal texts: don't assume.

With a description as vague as that, lawyers (which I'm not) might have a field
day.

In any case, the spirit of the GPL is given in the GPLv3:
    d) If the work has interactive user interfaces, each must display
    Appropriate Legal Notices; however, if the Program has interactive
    interfaces that do not display Appropriate Legal Notices, your
    work need not make them do so.

That also matches current practice.