[Interest] Website suggestion: provide proper one-page text only license legalese compilation for Qt 4.8 and Qt 5

Jonas Thiem jonasthiem at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 06:10:19 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> Em seg 28 abr 2014, às 03:42:52, Jonas Thiem escreveu:
>> The licensing information for Qt 4.8 (still in use through PySide) and
>> Qt 5.x regarding all the copyright and license stuff that NEED to be
>> in an application's about dialog to fulfill legal needs (so that's
>> important to know) is hard to collect.
>
> It needs to be in the application's supporting documentation. Not in a dialog.

To cite a few licenses: "the following two paragraphs appear in all
copies of this software.", "provided that (i) the above copyright
notices and this permission notice appear in all copies of the
software and related documentation", ... (those are all used by Qt
third-party libs)

I'd assume "in all copies of this software", without explicit
restriction to source code form, means that binary forms need to
contain those notices too. From some googling a while ago I think I'm
not the only one who leans towards that interpretation, but again I
guess what you and me say is irrelevant anyway since we're not lawyers
(sorry if you actually are).

>> To make matters even worse, it's all HTML with the whole Qt page
>> layout around, so not in any format that would it make easy to copy
>> for an about dialog.
>
> That point is moot. It doesn't need to be in a format to be consumed by a
> dialog.

Replace "format be consumed by a dialog" with "format that is easily
embeddable, shippable, ... in one file" if you want - text would still
be one of the best choices for that. A GPL text file accompanying a
software project is also commonly text, not HTML.

> No, they are not here. Please create an issue in the bugtracker for this.

Ok will do, thanks.

Regards,
Jonas Thiem