[Interest] Custom .prf files for QMake in project root?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:23:13 CEST 2014

Hi folks,

According to point 3 in the second list at [1], I should be able to put my
own .prf feature files for QMake in the project root.

I tried putting my foo.prf in features/win32/foo.prf with a simple
message("foo.prf loaded") in it, but it was not loaded by QMake.

I then took a look at the QMake source  and found [2]. It seems that QMake
will only look for .prf files in the project root if it contains some form
of cache file. (See also the comment for the linked function.)

So my question are:

1) What is this cache file? I can't remember ever seeing that on Linux or
Windows.
2) Why is QMake only loading the .prf files in the project root if there's
a cache file? It seems an arbitrary limitation to me, but perhaps I'm
missing something?

AFAICS this makes it impossible to ship custom .prf files with your project
and rely on them being loaded by QMake :(

Best regards,
Elvis Stansvik

[1]
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qmake-advanced-usage.html#adding-new-configuration-features