[Interest] macdeployqt errors on Qt 5.3.1

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 17:20:20 CEST 2014

To help answer my question I dug into the sources for macdeployqt and it turns out a combination of events conspired to give the results I was getting. There is a bit of code in macdeployqt that attempts to parse out the path to the Qt install by looking at a string from the output of "otool". The path it was looking at passed all the tests, unfortunately it was a false positive as the path was still wrong. I was going to try to write a patch or something to give back but after thinking about the problem I could not find a good bullet proof solution that would work in all the possible situations. MY one idea was to use the output from "quake -query QT_INSTALL_PATH" as a sanity check on any deduced qt installation path but I was not sure if this was really a good idea as I was thinking there might be edge cases where qmake might give a wrong result?

The other part of the problem was that the link order for my executable had a few other libraries first which ended up give the erroneous results. Changing the order of linking in my CMake file by putting the Qt libraries _first_ allowed macdeployqt to give back the proper results.

Just thought I would follow up in case someone else runs into this same issue.

Thanks
Mike Jackson