[Interest] QML standard components for mobile

Nuno Santos nunosantos at imaginando.pt
Fri Dec 5 13:00:45 CET 2014

Hi,

In my opinion, the real power of QML is precisely the fact that you don’t need to stick to the native iOS/Android look and keep the exact same look and feel on both platforms (obviously you will have some limitations but depending on the kind of application you are developing, they will be easily overpassed).

Regarding the components, with listview, repeaters, rows, columns, grid, etc you will definitely be able to do almost everything you need.

For more desktop like controls you have QtQuickControls subset (some of them might also be useful for general application development ex: StackView). For elastic layouts you should investigate QtQuickLayouts

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquickcontrols-index.html <http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquickcontrols-index.html>
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquicklayouts-index.html <http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquicklayouts-index.html>

Creating custom components in QML is also a breeze.

I think that most important to retain is the paradigm shift. Taking advantage of states, bindings, etc instead of making changes in response to events “by hand”.

The most important steps is to do something. After a couple of small applications you will be up and running in not time.

QML Book is definitely a nice resource for learning. Qt documentation as well!

Take this info into account as well:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquick-performance.html <http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtquick-performance.html>

Regards,

Nuno Santos