[Interest] Qt concurrency memory model C++11

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 17 19:02:13 CET 2014

On Wednesday 17 December 2014 11:14:39 Frank Meffert wrote:
> Hey Qt folks,
>
> I’ve got a general question on Qt’s implementation of concurrency (i.e.
> QThread et al.).
> The new C++ standard introduces a whole new way of concurrency,
> incorporating a new memory model making it unnecessary to use 3rd party
> libs like pthread, for instance.
>
> As far as I know, Qt is currently using the pthread-library – in case of
> linux – within all concurrency related classes.

Yes and no. Qt is using pthread on Linux, correct. But it doesn't have
concurrency issues.

The C11/C++11 memory model applies to pthread too.

> Will Qt make use of the new memory model and the new Thread API of the new
> C++ standard in future releases? Are there any plans/roadmaps?

Yes, Qt uses the new memory model. All you need for that is to compile your
code with a compiler that supports the memory model. Qt code did not need to
be changed for it.