[Interest] QProcess and QJob vs. OS X 10.9+

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 12:17:40 CET 2014

Hello,

Ever since (finally) upgrading from OS X 10.6.8 to OS X 10.9.5 I notice that KDevelop (v 4.7) often slows to a crawl when importing and/or parsing large projects. Despite disabling App Nap via the Finder's Get Info box, Info.plist and even system-wide, and also disabled support for sudden termination, I keep seeing warnings about excessive wake-ups in the system.log . See http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1261957&p=28140529#p28140529 for more background.

As put forward in that thread, KDevelop uses QJob and QProcess for things like parsing (background thread) and importing (background/helper process).

Does anyone on here have similar experiences on recent OS X versions (with solutions, please :)), and/or does Qt5.x contain back-portable fixes? KDevelope's parser was never fast, but on OS X 10.6.8 I could at least see it make (more) progress, and go away or simply do something else (even watch a video) while it completed a parsing run. I cannot believe that the change of compiler (from gcc-4.8 to clang 3.5) could be the explanation ...

Thanks,
René