[Interest] QProcess and QJob vs. OS X 10.9+

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 24 13:33:19 CET 2014

On Wednesday 24 December 2014 12:17:40 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ever since (finally) upgrading from OS X 10.6.8 to OS X 10.9.5 I notice that
> KDevelop (v 4.7) often slows to a crawl when importing and/or parsing large
> projects. Despite disabling App Nap via the Finder's Get Info box,
> Info.plist and even system-wide, and also disabled support for sudden
> termination, I keep seeing warnings about excessive wake-ups in the
> system.log . See
> http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1261957&p=28140529#p28140
> 529 for more background.
>
> As put forward in that thread, KDevelop uses QJob and QProcess for things
> like parsing (background thread) and importing (background/helper process).

That's KJob, since QJob doesn't exist.

> Does anyone on here have similar experiences on recent OS X versions (with
> solutions, please :)), and/or does Qt5.x contain back-portable fixes?
> KDevelope's parser was never fast, but on OS X 10.6.8 I could at least see
> it make (more) progress, and go away or simply do something else (even
> watch a video) while it completed a parsing run. I cannot believe that the
> change of compiler (from gcc-4.8 to clang 3.5) could be the explanation ...

Sorry, I don't have a solution.

My experience is that newer versions of OS X have schedulers tuned to more
powerful and current hardware, which means you'll feel slowness if you upgrade
your old Mac hardware to newer versions of OS X. That seems to affect all
applications, not just Qt-based ones.