[Interest] Qt Maintenance Tool vs Online Installer

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:14:00 CET 2014

I wanted to update from Qt 5.2.0 to Qt 5.2.1 on Linux.

I ran MaintenanceTool and it spent about 3 minutes contacting the server
before it told me it had to update
itself. Then it did, it restarted, spent another 3 minutes looking for
updates, and the told me I had one for QtCreator. But no update for Qt.
So I let it update QtCreator.

Then I downloaded a newer online installer (linux) and ran that to install
Qt 5.2.1.
It won't let me un-check qtcreator even though I just updated it.

It also won't let me install Qt 5.2.1 right next to Qt 5.2,  (my previous
install location was /usr/local/Trolltech) so I am forced to choose a
different directory, and download the latest QtCreator again!

The Maintenance tool great for updating qtcreator but what's the point if
you always have to download qtcreator again each time you get a newer Qt?

And why can't the online installer be a maintenance tool and let you
install updates?