[Interest] More QAudioRecorder codecs on Windows

Lopes Yoann Yoann.Lopes at digia.com
Mon Jan 20 14:19:21 CET 2014

On Jan 19, 2014, at 5:08 AM, Sze Howe Koh wrote:

On Linux, QMediaRecorder::supportedAudioCodecs() returns a wide
variety of codecs. On Windows  8.1 however, I only get "audio/pcm".

I've read that Qt Multimedia uses WMF on Windows, which already
provides a few encoders natively. Are these encoders accessible
through Qt yet? Is there a way to make more codecs available to
QAudioRecorder on Windows?

At the moment, WMF is used only for media playback features but not for recording. On Windows, QMediaRecorder uses http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757715(v=vs.85).aspx instead and that's why it only supports recording to pcm format.

Using WMF would indeed make more codecs available but it needs to be implemented.

--
Yoann Lopes
Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt