[Interest] Async texture upload using the ANGLE OpenGL driver

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 18:30:09 CET 2014

Am 24.01.2014 um 17:58 schrieb Thomas Sevaldrud <thomas at silentwings.no>:

> After a bit of browsing about in the ANGLE and Qt code, I found that the ANGLE GL implementation is not capable of multithreaded access, so I guess I'll have to rewrite this a bit :-)

I found this free sample chapter of "OpenGL Insights"

  http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~pcozzi/OpenGLInsights/OpenGLInsights-AsynchronousBufferTransfers.pdf

very helpful. Besides techniques using multiple threads with shared GL context it shows usage of (Pixel) Buffer Objects in a "Round-Robin Fashion", "Buffer Respecification" and other techniques for maximising buffer upload/download transfer rates (and using the time for other stuff once asynchronous DMA transfer has started, e.g. process the "buffer from the previous frame" while already uploading data for the next frame).

In fact, in chapter 28.6.4 the conclusion seems to be to not use multithreaded OpenGL and shared contexts but rather limit thread usage for CPU intensive "worker threads". Examples of multithread usage are given.

Maybe that helps ;)

Cheers,
  Oliver