[Interest] porting a tcl gui to qt

Josiah Bryan josiahbryan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:17:21 CEST 2014

I've written a basic generic QVariantMap server/client set of classes. I
know this code is probably rather rough - might just be better used as
an "example" or a starting point on writing your own. Take it for what it's
worth, here's the code:

https://code.google.com/p/livepro/source/browse/trunk/varnet

The "server" end would use VariantMapServer (derived from QTcpServer) and
connect to the "receivedMap(QVariantMap)" signal to receive input from
clients, and use the "sendMap(QVariantMap)" slot to send data to the
clients.

The "client" end would use the "VariantMapClient" class which offers the
same pair of signal and slots to send/receive QVariantMaps.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad at silmor.de> wrote:

> On Tue, July 1, 2014 00:05, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > On 06/30/2014 03:30 PM, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> > I suppose I am looking for a kind of UI protocol.  Here's another
> > question-- do you know any cross-platform apps with a Qt GUI that talks
> > to the "main" process over a socket?
>
> I've written a few of those - I always wrote the protocol myself on top of
> QTcpSocket or QLocalSocket.
>
> The protocol you are using right now is probably a good starting point -
> you'll just have to write your command parser yourself.
>
> I recommend using a registry(*) for your main items and use their IDs just
> like you used the Tk item/widget names as "command", then interpret the
> remainder of the commands - it usually is a simple matter of using
> QString::split and handing the result to some hierarchy of methods to do
> the evaluation of the components.
>
> (*) QMap<int,QGraphicsItem*>registry; or the better
> QMap<int,QPointer<MyPdItemClass> >; with MyPdItemClass containing enough
> logic to work in the context of your program as well as taking care of
> item deletion, etc.
>
> I would also recommend updating the protocol to exchange high-level
> information instead of actual widget commands - more like "item1234
> setActive 1" instead of ".item1234 setColor green".
>

>    Konrad

Josiah Bryan
765-215-0511
josiahbryan at gmail.com