[Interest] Using QMediaPlayer with Ogg Vorbis on Win7

Tom Isaacson Tom.Isaacson at navico.com
Sun Jul 13 22:06:40 CEST 2014

I was planning to use QMediaPlayer to display Ogg Vorbis (.ogv) audio/video files on Win7, as discussed here:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/videooverview.html
but when I try this I get an "Unsupported media type" error. I've installed Xiph as described here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15043620/qt-cant-play-ogg-and-flac

Then I came across this answer:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18884503/qmultimedia-which-video-audio-encodings-and-containers-are-supported
According to this page:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Multimedia_Backends
Windows (via DirectShow and Media Foundation) doesn't support rendering to widgets. So is what I'm trying to do impossible with Win7? Or is there still an issue with the codec I need to fix first? What about using VideoSurface?

Thanks,

Tom Isaacson