[Interest] QLabel inconsistent sizing with word wrap

Tony Rietwyk tony at rightsoft.com.au
Fri Jul 18 09:45:48 CEST 2014

> Am Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:59:15 +1000
> schrieb "Tony Rietwyk" <tony at rightsoft.com.au>:
>
> > Hi Everybody.
> >
> > In my Qt 4.8.6 application I cannot understand why this QLabel
> > widget's sizing varies wildly depending on the text content - even for
> similar text!
> > The QLabel has only WordWrap switched on, and Alignment Top/Left.  All
> > of the widgets shown have size policy Preferred, except for the top
> > level with the black border that has horizontal and vertical both set
> > to MinimumExpanding.  I've checked the source records and both
> > descriptions are plain text without any line breaks, etc.
> >
> > There are lots of hits when googling, but few answers.
> >
> > Can anyone shed light on this?  Has the text layout code been improved
> > in v5?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tony
>
> hi,
>
> i assume your yellow marked text is the QLabel in question.
>
> as your whole layout (QFrame?) is smaller in the 2nd screenshot, it would
be
> only reasonable for the QLabel inside this layout to resize as well, or
not?

> alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.  The outer frame layout resizes according to the
internal sizes, including the highlighted QLabel, as I select different
records from the list on the left.  Most records return the narrower size,
regardless of whether they have 2 or 6 lines of text.  Hard to see why the
sizeHint from the QLabel would be so different for the two records shown.

Regards,

Tony