[Interest] Using QMediaPlayer with Ogg Vorbis on Win7

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 10:55:09 CEST 2014

On 17 July 2014 19:51, Tom Isaacson <Tom.Isaacson at navico.com> wrote:

> So the only option is to switch compiler? Why did Qt make the switch to
> Media Foundation if there are less codecs for it?
>
>From my understanding Microsoft removed the headers for DirectShow support
from the Windows SDK. It had been depreciated since Windows Vista. Qt did
the right thing and left the existing DirectShow using the MinGW compiler
(because it doesn't need the Windows SDK) and also implemented the Media
Foundation framework which Microsoft was telling people to use.

The lack of codecs is really a chicken and egg problem, why would codec
developers port to Media Framework when they have the mature and stable
DirectShow.

When I was initially looking at the issue the two other routes were:
1, To locate the required older windows sdk files and recompile Qt using
Visual Studio and forcing it to use DirectShow. We attempted this but found
the nest of dependencies turned into a complexity we didn't want to add.

2, Switch to the GStreamer backend, there is apparently a port of Gstreamer
to windows which can be built using VS2010 and would in theory give you
access to QtGstreamer. Again this was a complexity which we did not go for.

We had our application compiling on Linux and GCC so the risk of switching
to mingw gcc was very low. The Gstreamer route would have been a better bet
in the long run but we've chosen the route of least friction.

> What about using VideoSurface?
>
> I have not tried using the native video surface, since I require cross
platform implementations. A quick search does not present anything
immediately available. Others might know more.

Regards