[Interest] Qtcreator on ubuntu

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:46:40 CEST 2014

Hi Felix,

On 25 July 2014 15:21, Felix morack <felixover at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> just installed Qt 5.3.1 + QtCreator on my Ubuntu 14.04 x64 machine via the
> online installer and was surprised by how poorly it works, or rather: not
> works.
>

> The first thing one notices when firing up QtCreator is a wired UI glitch,
> that i have reported about ten times already  -  a year ago.
>
> The glitch causes part of the UI window to become top most somehow, see
> here:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/TEDJGdI.png

Are you running this in a virtual machine? VirtualBox is known to have
OpenGL issues which affects Qt Creator's Welcome screen. This seems to
have been fixed in VirtualBox 4.3.12:

Disable the Welcome screen and see if it helps. In Qt Creator, go to
"Help" -> "About Plugins..." and uncheck "Qt Creator" -> "Welcome" and
restart.

> The second thing is that terminating via the X in the window bar freezes my
> entire system and i have to do a hard reset.

I'm not sure about this issue. Do the previous steps help?

> Between all that, the compilation errored out with missing libraries, even
> after excessive fiddling with kits and compiler options. (Not that the
> default GCC would have been detected automatically).

You need to install the g++ compiler (which isn't included in GCC by
default) and OpenGL development libraries (libgl1-mesa-dev).

> A truly frustrating experience.
>

> Do you need more testers for the linux/ubuntu department? If so, count me
> in.

Regards,
Sze-Howe