[Interest] porting a tcl gui to qt

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Mon Jun 30 21:30:22 CEST 2014

El Sunday 29 June 2014, Jonathan Wilkes escribió:
> I know this is an extremely inefficient design (especially for a realtime
> audio environment), but there are enough UX quirks that changing the
> design and porting at the same time without breaking anything would be
> more work than we have resources for.

That's understandable, but some diagonal reading seems to point that you might
have some coupling of the chosen toolkit with the protocol. That's if those
".x19a1df0" / ".x19a1df0.c" have something to do with Tcl objects, and nothing
else.

> So I'm wondering how to do
> something similar to this, either with the QGraphicsView or Qt Quick and
> the Scene Graph.  I think I can figure out how to get Qt to send pd
> messages over the socket, but what's the best way to send messages to the
> Qt GUI to tell it to draw things on the "canvas" or update their
> properties?

I don't quite see the specific issue. If you managed to use a socket to write
to it in some application specific protocol, you'll have to do the same to read
from it and decode it to make calls to the public API.

If you want some kind of "UI protocol" in Qt, that doesn't exists as far as I
know. At least certainly not as a public, cross-platform API. In Qt for Linux
embedded (disappeared in 5.x), there was a protocol to make a GUI talk to a
server, a little bit like X11 works, but this kind of thing has disappeared,
and (again, as far as I know) never was a public API.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2