[Interest] Qt5 Cross Compiling on Linux For Windows

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Fri Mar 7 02:26:32 CET 2014

On 03/07/2014 12:40 AM, Jonathan Greig wrote:
> I've used MXE several times in the past even before it was called MXE.
> I must have really bad luck, because any time I have ever used the
> master ends up in disaster. Mark, Since I know your involved with MXE
> more than most, is there an estimate on when the shared lib support
> will make it into the stable branch or is it too early to tell?
>
> I noticed it was subsumed into the win32-g++ mkspec but the note
> suggests you need to build Qt5 from source, which I would like to
> avoid if possible because that lengthens the build process
> considerably. I'm on Kubuntu 13.10 and using the .deb packages(which
> I'm assuming are bootstrapped from Debian) previously tried using
> -spec win32-g++ without much luck. If I can get it working reliably on
> my machine, there's little reason why it wouldn't work on Travis-CI.
> Are the Debian packages not configured for cross-compiling?

MXE builds everything from source, but it's painless and fast. It will
build all packages from gcc through all the Qt 5 modules during your
coffee break.

It's probably best to ask on the MXE list about shared libraries and the
stable branch. Many people use the master branch successfully, at least
as a base for their own private fork.

I have haven't tried it any other way than with MXE for a long time so I
can't say much about Travis-CI or the Debian packages. If you look at
how the Qt configure script is invoked in MXE, that might give you some
ideas.

On 03/07/2014 01:21 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Reusing the Qt build tools for different Qt builds is unsupported. So,
> officially, you need to get a qmake binary for Linux for that cross-compilation
> environment, along with moc, uic, rcc, etc.
>
> So you don't need to compile Qt 5 from sources. Provided someone else already
> has.

The Qt utilities qmake, moc, uic, rcc, etc are included in the MXE
build, not reused from whatever is already installed on the machine.