[Interest] heightForWidth

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Fri Mar 7 19:13:20 CET 2014

Well, I see your point- why should the window necessarily be the same shape as the graph when the graph is constrained to a particular dimensional relationship. But both Macintosh and Windows provide ways to constrain a window's dimensions while the user is dragging the window to a new size. In fact, debugging the Qt Cocoa code involved with heightForWidth() shows that they are handling the notifications that allow constraining window size while the user is dragging, so it seems like this should be feasible.

I take your point that it is a hint- all the layout stuff is hints pretty much. But if it is possible to apply a hint, it should be applied. Since it is possible to constrain window dimensions on Macintosh and Windows, it seems like there might be a way to tell Qt that my heightForWidth is intended to be exact, not a minimum dimension, similar to the way QSizePolicy:Fixed means "don't resize this widget at all".

Thanks,
John Weeks