[Interest] Qt and OpenCL crash course

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Thu Mar 13 10:40:12 CET 2014

On Wednesday 12 March 2014 12:08:53 Jason H wrote:
> I need to do some elementary graphics operations on QPixmap or QImage. I can
> do these in Qt to some extent already. But for this latest project I will
> be processing 4k resolution images. My operations are:
> Translate off origin
> Rotate by an acute angle (around a point sometimes not in the image)
> Pixel value normailzation
>
> To what extent does Qt support these operations in a hardware accelerated
> manner? Or how hard is it for me to use the hardware to produce those
> functions to inter-operate with Qt?
>
> Many thanks!

Have you considered using OpenGL? Two options:

1) If you have OpenGL 4.3 capable hw use a compute shader plus a texture or
shader storage buffer

2) If you don't have OpenGL 4.3 capable hw use a framebuffer object and a
texture.

Qt has good support for OpenGL so using this approach should be pretty simple
for you.

Cheers,

Sean
--