[Interest] Size of libQt5Core in 5.3

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue May 13 00:14:51 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Peter Kümmel <syntheticpp at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 12.05.2014 23:29, Daniel Bowen wrote:
>>
>> If anyone has other things to add, please do.
>
> Maybe it is worth to think about a Qt library which really only
> provides essential stuff. What would such a library contain,
> when all the "but the GUI needs it" was removed?

I think sort of the opposite happened, Qt5Core got to its size because
there are useful features that non-GUI applications might want that
were moved there. Like QRegularExpression, you could easily see that
being useful in all sorts of server/daemon applications. Stuff that
only GUI needs stayed in QtGui and friends.

This whole discussion reminds me of this recent article about Linux
slimming down the ipv4 stack:
http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/597529/314ebe6febbc9f59/

Like Qt there's no low-hanging fruit, just a bunch of things that can
be stripped out that together would add up to a meaningful decrease.

Unlike the Linux networking maintainers, Thiago is open to
configure-time methods to slim down QtCore. That seems like the way
forward for people who care about such things.

Ian