[Interest] Keeping QML module versions up to date in a project

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Wed Nov 26 13:58:53 CET 2014

On 11/26/2014 1:39 PM, Tomasz Siekierda wrote:
> On 26 November 2014 at 13:29, Attila Csipa <qt at csipa.in.rs> wrote:
>> The good news is your 2.0 statement will import whatever the latest
>> implementation registers for the 2.0 version. The ((un)intended?)
>> side-effect of this is that the backward compatibility is not 100% - if
>> you relied on something that has changes/fixes in the newer
>> implementation, there is no going back other than downgrading your Qt
>> version.
> If this is so, then I wonder if it won't be better to introduce/
> change the syntax to something like this:
>    import at least QtQuick 2.0
> or (probably better)
>    require QtQuick 2.0
>
> meaning "include the newest feature set available, while 2.0 is the
> absolute minimum". It describes the reality a bit better. When people

No, the import version specifies the exact feature set you'll get - as
said, there are no wildcards/ranges/macros. I was told this is
intentional, to guarantee compatibility. FWIW I still disagree with the
way it's done, but there you have it, I suspect this will be coming up
again and again.

Some history of the matter and attemps at having this altered:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/8464

Best regards,
Attila