[Interest] Parallel state and local transactions issue

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:57:25 CEST 2014

> For both GUI and Controller parallel states, local transactions are used.
> Local transactions are a particular type of transactions which means that
> any sub-state contained in the source state can reach the target state, and
> this is represented by the First state's incoming arrow. Its a
> specification suitable to reduce the number of transactions, like parallel
> states.
> So, as you can see, for both GUI and Controller, the First state is
> reachable from any parallel substate.
> The problem is that whenever I trigger this transaction, the specific
> parallel state exits (which may be correct), but even its container exits
> (Parallel-container), causing exiting even for the other parallel state
> (which is not a good behavior imho).

Exiting parallel state when any of the 'sibling' state exists is, IMO, as
per the hierarchical statechart specs (CMIIW).

Although, it's still not clear to me from your diagram as to how do you do
a transition from, say, 'third' state to 'first' state. If the the arrows
are representing transitions, I see a transition set on the "GUI" state
(which should be parent of all 3 states within it) whose target state is
'first'. I assume you're sending an event which triggers _this_ transition?
Is GUI also the top-level parallel state?

It'll be good if you can send a small example showing the implementation of
this diagram. That way we can see how the various transitions have been set.

HTH,
-mandeep