[Interest] Parallel state and local transactions issue

Alessandro Lonardi alessandro.lonardi at edalab.it
Tue Oct 14 10:36:00 CEST 2014

Hi Mandeep,
thanks for the reply.

> From your state machine (SM) diagram it's not clear how GUI SM transitions
> from 'third' to 'first' state. Do you have a transition from third state to
> first state?

For both GUI and Controller parallel states, local transactions are used.
Local transactions are a particular type of transactions which means that
any sub-state contained in the source state can reach the target state, and
this is represented by the First state's incoming arrow. Its a
specification suitable to reduce the number of transactions, like parallel
states.
So, as you can see, for both GUI and Controller, the First state is
reachable from any parallel substate.
The problem is that whenever I trigger this transaction, the specific
parallel state exits (which may be correct), but even its container exits
(Parallel-container), causing exiting even for the other parallel state
(which is not a good behavior imho).

> Note, if you're exiting _any_ of the parallel SMs and then re-entering it
> (which seems to be your case), then ALL parallel SMs will exit and
> re-enter. This might explain why the controller SM is ending up in first
> state when you exit the GUI SM.

I think you're correct. Honestly, I don't like much this kind of behavior,
but that's exactly the only explaination I can get.
I wonder if Is that the desired behavior or not. I mean, I think that's not
aligned with UML State Charts specifications.

Thanks again,
Alessandro.