[Interest] QAudioDecoder class on Macintosh?

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Wed Apr 8 19:08:15 CEST 2015

I have a use for QAudioDecoder to load sound files into our numerical analysis program as data. I found Qt Multimedia and the QAudioDecoder. I wrote some trial code and got this message in my Creator console:

 defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for - "org.qt-project.qt.audiodecode"

I Googled that, and ultimately found this page:

http://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Multimedia_Backends

that shows that there are almost no platforms where QAudioDecoder actually works. So...

1) It would have been nice if the QAudioDecoder documentation actually documented the fact that it depends on a backend plug-in, and that there are hardly any that actually work. The "Detailed Description" has two paragraphs! Clearly a work in progress, but this: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/multimediaoverview.html doesn't seem to indicate that it is anything but a finished module.

2) I would love to know if this is a work in progress, or will I wait in vain for a Macintosh backend plug-in that supports QAudioDecoder?

Thanks all!

Ah, ha! I just noticed the static function QAudioDecoder::hasSupport(). Of course, I still have to write code before I can discover that there isn't any support.

-John Weeks