[Interest] Dynamically change dock icon under OS X

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 13:52:04 CEST 2015

Since OS X doesn't have a "task tray", I'm wondering if there is a way to
perform some of that functionality by manipulating the dock presence of a
running application.

For example, I have a Qt application that alters the task tray icon and
tooltip based on information found in a Python script that it hosts (embedded
Python).  This works flawlessly using QSystemTrayIcon under Windows, but of
course, there's no such beast under OS X.  So, I've tried changing the
application icon (setWindowIcon()) and tooltip (this->setToolTip()), but it
doesn't have any affect on the presence of the application in the OS X dock.

Anybody have any insights here?  I already suspect it simply isn't possible,
but I thought I'd ask anyway.