[Interest] Constructor of QPrinter takes 25-50 seconds to execute

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Dec 1 00:33:02 CET 2015

On Monday 30 November 2015 17:12:43 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2015-11-27 12:04, Syam Krishnan wrote:
> > On 11/27/2015 12:43 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> 25 seconds is the exact time of a D-Bus method call timeout. 50
> >> seconds would
> >> be two, back-to-back.
> >
> > Then that should be it. On KDE, I sometimes feel there's something wrong
> > with dbus because at times even "shutdown" (from the menu) does not have
> > any effect.
>
> I've known ksmserver to go out to lunch... can't shut down, can't start
> new (Qt) applications... other desktop stuff stops working...

ksmserver doesn't start new applications. It only starts the applications that
existed in the previous session, then sits there idling forever, until you
quit the desktop.

The thing that starts applications after the login is finished is
kdeinit{,4,5}. It supports starting both regular applications as well as
kdeinit applications.