[Interest] Qt3D: Ownership of certain objects when passed as pointers

Jonathan Poncelet jonathan.poncelet at talk21.com
Tue Feb 3 09:53:05 CET 2015

Hello all,

I’m currently using Qt3D 1.0 - I intend to upgrade to 2.0 ASAP but at this point, for the purposes of finishing my university project, I need to stick with the previous version.

I have a few questions about ownership of various objects passed to QGLSceneNode. For example, setTransforms() receives a list of QGraphicsTransform3D pointers; setUserEffect() receives a QGLAbstractEffect pointer; etc. I understand this is because the QGLSceneNode operates with the functions defined on the abstract class, but if I pass the above functions a pointer to a derived object, should I expect QGLSceneNode to delete the object, or should I do this myself? If I do need to manage the objects myself, what is the recommended way of doing this, since I would imagine if they are deleted before the QGLSceneNode then there is the possibility of undefined behaviour?

This might well just be programming inexperience showing, but it’s not an issue I’ve ever really considered or dealt with myself.

Thanks,

Jonathan