[Interest] Qt polls available Wifi interfaces every 10 seconds for available networks, Windows 7, Qt 5.3.2

Andre Barth Andre.Barth at autodesk.com
Wed Feb 4 13:56:57 CET 2015

[changed subject - was RE: [Interest] Running FancyBrowser / QtWebKit example causes periodical wifi network delay & VOIP interruption, Qt 5.3.2, Windows 7 x64]

Hi all,

I looked into that today again and it looks as if Qt's "Network Configuration Manager" was polling the Wifi engine every 10 seconds for available networks.

This in turn will call Windows' WlanScan function which "... requests a scan for available networks on the indicated interface..."
(see qnativewifiengine::requestUpdate, line 517)

This is causing the interruption of the network traffic on the interface (and the problems with VoIP apps running in parallel)

So, my follow-up questions would be:

1)      What's the reason to have this turned on, i.e. scanning all available networks all the time?

2)      Any ways to disable that and/or workarounds?

3)      Other recommendations?
e.g. would one have to keep the life time of a QNetworkAccessManager instance to the bare minimum?

Thanks,
Andre