[Interest] Qt 5 Creator (Mac) Debugger should use the system python executable

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Wed Feb 4 23:44:25 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 12:09:47PM +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The recent discussion about debugging with Qt Creator on OS X reminded me of
> an issue I encountered with the version that's installed obligatorily by the
> Digia Qt installer.  The embedded debugger uses a python extension to connect
> to the lldb debug server, and that extension is typically installed by Xcode
> for use with the system python. Yet Qt Creator appears to launch whatever
> python executable is first in the path, which on a developer system is very
> likely to be a different python, quite possibly even a python3 binary rather
> than the v2.7 that lldb works with.
>
> I'm bringing this up here before filing a bug report with suggested solution:
> I think that at the very least QtC should use a hard-coded path to python,
> but ideally it would allow choice of the executable as it does for cmake.

The solution is to start LLDB, and use the Python it links to implicitly
by using the LLDB 'script' command, instead of hoping that the system Python
is the right one.

Running a proper event loop handling both user input and debugger events was
not possible with the early LLDB versions at the time Creator grew its support
for it, but seems to work rather well nowadays.

Andre'