[Interest] [Development] Why can't QString use UTF-8 internally?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 01:06:14 CET 2015

On Tuesday February 10 2015 16:28:35 Karl Ruetz wrote:

> ................................................................ then
> >> deprecate QString, and prune it in qt6. then maybe re-add it as an
> >> alias for utf8string a few minor versions down. does that sound
> >> feasible?

No.  Above all, it sounds exceedingly contrived, counterproductive and plain weird even to someone with as little C++fu as I ...
If you're already foreseeing to reintroduce QString, just rewrite it to be based on std::whatever as soon and as far as that's feasible.

> > sense. Those we want CoW semantics on would make sense, but if we don't really
> > want that on strings, maybe every framework having its own string class is
> > finally obsolete in C++?

Of course not. The fact that a language introduces a new concept, class or API doesn't mean that frameworks have to start using that and only that at once.

> Please keep in mind that many of us have code running in production at customer sites that makes extensive use of QString.

What code does *not* make extensive use of the class?

R.