[Interest] Deploying Qt to MacOs still...errr, sucks?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:43:44 CET 2015

On Wednesday February 11 2015 13:27:37 Michael Jackson wrote:

> I was also the one that reported the MacPort dependency. And I am not really comfortable just changing the install_name to point towards another library of the same name but unknown as to how it was compiled or with what options. I'll count that as another obvious bug and not put in a bug report.

This is a bit of a delicate matter. If Digia indeed use MacPorts to provide certain dependencies, it will not be that easy to avoid generic libraries like those reported, because it is MacPorts' principle to provide those libraries itself, but compiled with the default system compiler.
This is of no consequence as long as those in MacPorts are not so far ahead of the ones Apple ship that they become ABI incompatible. Nothing stops Digia from setting up (or having set up) a MacPorts environment that uses the same versions as Apple, and "simply" mark these ports as held, to borrow a Debian term.

> Now. if QtCreator could just better understand CMake projects I think I could have a decent experience coding with Qt.

Do you use a lot of ObjC code? If not, you could have a look at KDevelop. I actually prefer it over Creator in most aspects. You'd still need Creator or Xcode for debugging, though, because KDevelop doesn't support lldb yet.

R.