[Interest] How does QDesktopServices decide what application to use?

Benjamin Block bebl at mageta.org
Sat Feb 14 20:05:49 CET 2015

Hello folks,

just a short question about QDesktopServices. When you call the openUrl()
function, the documentation states that the URL "will be opened with a suitable
application". But how does qt decide what application to use?

For example, in case I open a gif-image, it will open said image in gimp on my
Linux.. which is kinda fitting, but I'd rather have it open the image with a
normal viewer. Where does qt get this information from? My desktop environment
(kinda KDE, but not really :D) is already properly configures and opens the
proper viewer in case I use a normal file browser like dolphin.

Any hints?

best regards,
- Benjamin