[Interest] Installer Recommendations

Jérôme Godbout jerome at bodycad.com
Thu Feb 19 15:09:45 CET 2015

"Can WiX bundle other executables, such as MSVC++ 2010 Redistributables and
install them unattended?"
Yes it does,  (assuming VS here) inside the .wixproj define the itemGroup

<ItemGroup>    <BootstrapperFile
Include="Microsoft.Visual.C++.12.0.x64">      <ProductName>Microsoft
Visual C++ Redistributables</ProductName>    </BootstrapperFile>
</ItemGroup>

Inside the Target AfterBuild:

<GenerateBootstrapper ApplicationFile="$(FinalOutputName).msi"
ApplicationName="$(FinalOutputName) Setup"
BootstrapperItems="@(BootstrapperFile)" ComponentsLocation="HomeSite"
CopyComponents="True" OutputPath="$(OutputPath)" Path="C:\Program
Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\Bootstrapper\"
SupportUrl="https://www.MyURL.com" Culture="fr" FallbackCulture="en"
/>

This will give you a setup.exe that will install the redistribuable before
launching the .msi. Note, .msi are not able to launch other .msi
installation, this is why the setup.exe is require on Windows, there's no
central package repos or dependen like rpm with yum or apt-get. This is the
sad part of .msi.

Jerome