[Interest] Qt 5.3 vs Qt 5.4 (etc)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:55:48 CET 2015

On Sunday January 11 2015 22:24:37 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

Hi Andreas,

> > If this principle was in place for Qt 5.2 too, I can thus upgrade my Linux
> > box's Qt 5.2 (Ubuntu 14.04) to Qt 5.3.2 (backported from Ubuntu Vivid
> > Velvet) without breaking the slew of packages that depend on Qt5?

Turns out I can't, but that must be due to package interdependencies...

> Most Linux distro's wouldn't package Qt if they had to recompile all the
> packages that depend on Qt if they switch from x.y to x.y+1.

I can only speak for Debian and Ubuntu, but those appear to bump the minor release version only between distro release versions where all packages are rebuilt anyway. Ubuntu stays on 5.2.x up to 15.04, i.e. 2 releases up from the current LTS release.

R.