[Interest] Qt 5.3 vs Qt 5.4 (etc)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jan 12 09:09:08 CET 2015

Hi Rene,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday January 11 2015 22:24:37 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> > > If this principle was in place for Qt 5.2 too, I can thus upgrade my
> Linux
> > > box's Qt 5.2 (Ubuntu 14.04) to Qt 5.3.2 (backported from Ubuntu Vivid
> > > Velvet) without breaking the slew of packages that depend on Qt5?
>
> Turns out I can't, but that must be due to package interdependencies...
>
> > Most Linux distro's wouldn't package Qt if they had to recompile all the
> > packages that depend on Qt if they switch from x.y to x.y+1.
>
> I can only speak for Debian and Ubuntu, but those appear to bump the minor
> release version only between distro release versions where all packages are
> rebuilt anyway. Ubuntu stays on 5.2.x up to 15.04, i.e. 2 releases up from
> the current LTS release.

If you only look at the stable releases of Debian thats indeed how it would
look like. Its a little different if you look at the 'rolling release'
stream (the unstable line). You can see new Qt versions trickle in there
without all kde packages following up the next days. It does happen
sometimes though if a new KDE release is closely following a new Qt
version. Its also visible in dependencies of packages using Qt, they are
not tightened up but generally >= x.y. So if a new qt version lands users
can install that without all those qt-using packages 'breaking' (and hence
enforcing to keep the old version until they are rebuilt).

Andreas