[Interest] -headerdir causing headerfile version confusion building qtwebengine (was Qt5 cannot be build on Debian Wheezy? GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 02:59:29 CET 2015

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 00:08:10 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
[snip]
> I can only speak for Debian and Ubuntu and for those that is true for the
> packages that they ship, and for PPAs people can create. But do you really
> think that Debian or Ubuntu maintainers develop their packages starting
> with a clean install every time (creating a new VM each time as launchpad
> does)? Every Ubuntu package that I've tried to build locally builds just
> fine. And I don't have the impression that dpkg-build sets up some sort of
> chroot.

I can answer that, as I am one of the people behind the Debian packages. Yes,
we do build in clean chroots. We use special tools for that that helps us a
lot like cowbuilder, pbuilder or sbuild.

If I need to "play" with the source (for example, for tracing a bug) I use
schroot's capabilities to create "disposable" chroots. It takes some time to
create them, but then I'm sure I'm in a clean environment with just the tools
I need.

This is specially true for libraries. For applications the packaging might
start in a clean environment, but must end in a clean one before uploading.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/