[Interest] -headerdir causing headerfile version confusion building qtwebengine (was Qt5 cannot be build on Debian Wheezy? GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 08:37:37 CET 2015

Hi Rene,

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:08 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday January 19 2015 14:30:28 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I don't have to. This is standard practice already. All the major Linux
> > distros build their packages like I described. Look at Fedora's Koji or
> the
> > Open Build System or what Debian uses. Take a look at Scratchbox too.
>
> I can only speak for Debian and Ubuntu and for those that is true for the
> packages that they ship, and for PPAs people can create.
> But do you really think that Debian or Ubuntu maintainers develop their
> packages starting with a clean install every time (creating a new VM each
> time as launchpad does)?

Yes, or rather, they have a 'base system' chroot somewhere and when they
build a package the helper utilities will install the necessariy
build-deps, build the package and remove the build-deps again. No need for
a new vm everytime or a vm at all. A chroot is totally sufficient and quite
cheap too (it merely needs a little extra space on disk).

> Every Ubuntu package that I've tried to build locally builds just fine.
> And I don't have the impression that dpkg-build sets up some sort of chroot.

I can't recall what I've been using 'back then' when I looked at how debian
packages can be created (for unpackaged software) but I did use a chroot as
well and not build the package in my normal system.

Andreas