[Interest] Run Qt Widget program with minimal Xorg installation on Linux

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:10:48 CET 2015

On Friday 09 January 2015 23:14:07 ruslan wrote:
> Ok, it should be clearer if I'll describe the program purpose. It will
> be server witch receives QML code, convert a visual result to image
> with  QQuickWindow::grabWindow() and return it to caller.
> Some kind of remote execution. So all I need is VDS witch have ability
> to execute Qt program (not console). The only way I know to run it is
> Xorg server. May be framebuffer, but if I run the program with -target
> linuxfb I get same error.
>
> So VNC is only tool to see that Qt program runs in the server. Sure, I
> can connect with SSH and start the program from the Bash bet that gives
> me same errors as when I run it in BlackBox.
> I'll try to connect to X session on remote server with SSH and port
> forwarding but I still think the problem in X server itself. It looks
> like it misses something important.

You might want to try xvfb. It provides an X virtual frame buffer which is not
displayed to the user, but the application can run there.

It is used a lot for automatically testing graphical stuff (and if I'm not
mistaken, it was developed with that purpose).

--
When the winds of change are blowing, some people are building shelters, and
others are building windmills.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/