[Interest] Qt 5.3 vs Qt 5.4 (etc)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:25:04 CET 2015

On Monday 19 January 2015 19:33:21 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2015 23:06:05 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > Correct except for the packages that use Qt's private headers (please,
> > don't  do that except you are writing code for Qt itself) and between the
> > different submodules of Qt5, as we need to ensure that qtsvg 5.x.y is
> > always used with qtbase 5.x.y.
>
> By the way, I've been meaning to add a patch to Qt that would cause one
> library to use a symbol from QtCore that has the exact Qt version number in
> its ELF symbol. Would this help in the packaging and ensuring everything is
> ship-shape?

Let me see if I'm getting this right because I must admit I don't even now
what the GCC symbol does and I might be confusing things.

If the library you mean is not part of Qt (ie, just any other lib using
QtCore): would the library need to be recompiled in order to use a newer minor
(z) or medium (y) Qt x.y.z version? I'm guessing not, but I want to be sure.

If the library is part of Qt itself then it will certainly not hurt, but
nowadays we need to push all Qt submodules at the same time because there are
runtime checks in order. Ie, I can't just package qtbase 5.3.2 and push it
alone waiting for another submodule like, let's say, qtsvg 5.3.1 to continue
working. This is enforced by Qt itself at runtime.

But then again, I need to understand it's purpose right first I guess :)

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/