[Interest] Windows Phone 8.1 (WinRT) field report

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Thu Jan 29 10:23:16 CET 2015

I made another attempt at running apps on Lumia 530 and finally made some
progress.

First the 3 don't:

1.  Don't try to deploy from Qt Creator
2.  Don't call Qt.quit()    (Many simple Qt Creator wizard generated QML
apps do just that)
3.  Don't have onPressAndHold in your MouseAreas

The related bugreports are
1. https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-42950
2. https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-43862
3. https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44196

The last one was very misleading, as I had a "virtual" onPressAndHold for
practically all my QML items, so it appeared as if no touch events were
registering at all.

Other notes:

You can run against WinRT desktop from QC.  That is the fastest way, even a
small app deploy on phone takes a while.

I was not able to run anything on the emulator from QC either.  There it
failed even earlier than when deploying on phone with the message:
Error while building/deploying project test1 (kit: Qt 5.4.1 for Windows
Phone x86 MSVC2013 32bit (Emulator))

When executing step "Run windeployqt"

To launch a command prompt to prepare for building and running in Visual
Studio, I created two helper batch files with shortcuts on the desktop.

qtemu.bat for running in emulator

--8<-------8<-------8<----

call c:\dev\vs2013pro\VC\vcvarsall.bat
set PATH=c:/Qt/Qt5.4.1/5.4/winphone_x86/bin;%path%
cd \users\harri\Documents
echo "Do: qmake -tp vc <your project>.pro "CONFIG+=windeployqt""
cmd

--8<-------8<-------8<----

qtarm.bat for building for phone:

--8<-------8<-------8<----

call c:\dev\vs2013pro\VC\vcvarsall.bat
set PATH=c:/Qt/Qt5.4.1/5.4/winphone_arm/bin;%path%
cd \users\harri\Documents
echo "Do: qmake -tp vc <your project>.pro "CONFIG+=windeployqt""
cmd

--8<-------8<-------8<----

Note that I have Visual Studio 2013 pro installed under c:/dev/ directory,
so you may need to tweak the paths.

so when the shell is open, do something like

mkdir buildtest
cd buildtest
qmake -vc ..\test1\test1.pro "CONFIG+=windeployqt"

And then open the generated test1 Visual Studio project in VS2013 and you
are good to go.

So now there is some hope for winRT.  Some look-and-feel this are that
ScrollAreas look butt-ugly by default and so does Menu.popup(), but those
are not show stoppers and can be worked around.

Hope this helps someone.

Harri