[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Kate Alhola kate.alhola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:56:18 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Turunen Tuukka
<tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

> All the current Indie Mobile customers can continue with it under the same terms, we are not offering new any more.
>
> This is due to having overall too little interest (i.e. paying customers) for that product.
>
> Yours,
>
>                     Tuukka

Even if there is little amount of paying customers, removing Indie
Mobile possibility makes impossible
individual developer to make Qt commercial application to appstore.
Even some ones make a fortune,
most apps are in long tail where revenue is much, mush less than Qt
Commercial license cost. I don't
have exact figures but it may be that 80% apps never make enough money
to even pay Qt Commercial license.

You can say that Qt Company is not interested because they does not
make profit with these long tail developers
but issue is that a lot of winning apps start from small. Always some
of these long tail apps success. If you cut
the long tail away, you also cut away all these apps that crow to
success from long tail.

Why Apple and Google give their dev tools free ? They don't make money
from long tail either but they
know that getting successful apps you need to have this long tail also.

I understand that supporting Indie mobile developers was not
profitable but If there is not any solution
that allows statically linked Qt apps to appstore then this is killing
the long tail and harming success of all Qt.

Kate