[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Kate Alhola kate.alhola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 23:50:42 CEST 2015

On 10 Jul 2015, at 20:09, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>> On Saturday 11 July 2015 03:03:16 John C. Turnbull wrote:
>> Yeah but I am adding royalties.
>
> Ignoring the fact that it's difficult to monitor this and would generate even
> more cost, at a 5% cut that would require your application to sell at least
> $300 a month to break even with the current structure.
>
> In the real world, because of this extra monitoring, the costs would be much
> higher. So unless on average each Indie licence produced at least $1000 a
> month of net sales through the app stores, it is a bad value proposition for
> The Qt Company. Probably more.

There is no sense of having monitoring overhead for collectong pennies. For this reason I proposed that it should be free to use Qt in mobile for less than some monthly revenue. I proposed 10000€ per month or something arounf that.

This will be win-win situation to Qt Company and developers because if Qt Company is not making profit with Indie licences and it is not pofittable monitor for pennies. To make money Qt Company needs successfull developers. If there is no entry path for indie devlopers or startups, then there won't be so many succesfull apps.

Or other words, if Qt Company says no to indie and stratup developers, who will use Qt
in mobile ? Desktop Qt is so mature and gives same sepeed and look and feel than native development kits but in mobile there is still long way to go. Greatest advantage to mobile Qt is that you could use same code in all platforms but available APIs, size, speed and stability is disadvantage. For indie or startup developer that does not have resources to make separate native implementation this is great advantage. For larger company it makes more sense to use more resources to develop native apps.

If Qt Companynis is saying no to small developers and larger will in any case use
native, what is left ?

Kate