[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Wed Jul 15 23:31:09 CEST 2015

On 7/14/2015 3:18 AM, Kate Alhola wrote:
> I don't see Xamarin more than one competitor on that field. More
> serious competition comes from native platforms.

One of the key selling points of Xamarin (like Qt) is that it allows to
reuse your technology knowledge (and tooling, let's not forget Visual
Studio et al) and has a good transition path for commercial desktop
developers. Going native is always an alternative, but then you will
need to know and use all the technologies available on all the platforms
you want/need to support. As generic, high-performance cross-platform
frameworks go, Xamarin is the direct competitor to Qt - the other big
guns, Unity and Cordova focus on different aspects of cross-platform
development.

>  I see that power of Qt comes from community, also in mobile.
> Community itself does not create huge revenue but a lot of business
> grown from community. There is no sense to say NO for indie or small
> developers unless intention is kill all mobile Qt. Kate

The misunderstanding is more PR I believe. Apparently there was an open
door that people did just not go through, and now that the door is
closing, there is a sense of panic, but it's still unclear how realistic
it is from a commitment perspective, or is it really a "should've
would've" proposition. A kickstarter campaign or similar would be
telling - say, with the stretch goals being "keep the indie license
alive" and similar. Then it would be clear if it's just (sorry to be
blunt) moaning or actual interest.

PS. And unless indie licensing uses different terms than the commercial
ones, you are actually supposed to have it licensed throughout the
development cycle, not a in a "well, if it makes serious money, I'll
license it" approach, so most of the cases mentioned would be a bit in
the grey area license-wise anyway.

Attila