[Interest] how to handle non-ASCII input in qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 18 08:42:00 CEST 2015

On Friday 17 July 2015 20:38:59 varro wrote:
> I'm writing a Qt application using the ruby bindings in which I need
> to be able to support entering non-ASCII data (accented characters and
> so on).  Googling seems to indicate that the normal way of handling
> this is using ibus to provide an input method.  Although I've
> installed ibus, it doesn't start (running ibus-daemon results in a
> "cannot execute default panel program"), and I've unable to solve
> this.  (Documentation on ibus is appalling.)  Can anyone help with
> this?
>
> (Note: this is using X under FreeBSD, no DE [just a window manager].)

You don't need to do anything, not even run a DE or an IME (like ibus). It
should simply work out of the box, provided your X configuration is correct.

Make sure your X can produce those characters and you're set.

If you can't, then you should simply copy & paste from a character table, like
the one shown by kcharselect.