[Interest] Qt.io confusing website ... where are the pricing table and how to get indie license ?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:57:47 CEST 2015

> On 7/18/2015 8:30 AM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>> Another small nitpick on that page (see attached screenshot) is the
>> two subtitles "Commercial". When they are juxtaposed like that it
>> looks kind of weird. It's also weird that they are the _only_
>> subtitles under "Qt for Application Development" and "Qt for Device
>> Creation".
>
> Not really that weird.  They just pushing the commercial license.  If you want
> LGPL, you have to work harder to find it. :)

:) Yes, of course it's easy to see the motivations behind them having
the commercial links at the top, and imagine the discussions behind
it. They even use a smaller font for the open source option (which is
down below). I just thought the look was weird because the
"Commercial" subtitles really stand out in black on white, so at first
glance, at least I thought "uh, so are they the same..?", until a few
seconds late when you realize the main titles are different. So it was
mostly a easthetic / usability point.

> But I have agree with some of the sentiments expressed here.  Their not
> selling an application to an end user, they're selling a toolkit to software
> developers.  I think the overall look and feel of the web site was simply
> copied from other sites around the web, but that site design targets the wrong
> kind of audience in this case.

I think you're right. And also, with the unification of both the
commercial and open source websites under qt.io, they have two
audiences to serve. This time I think they've, if not slammed, then at
leasted closed the door a little on the latter audience.

Elvis