[Interest] Need argumentative help..... giving qobject copy/assignment constructor and put it in qlist/qmap

Scott Aron Bloom scott at towel42.com
Wed Jul 22 21:20:57 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 22 July 2015 18:42:55 Scott Aron Bloom wrote:
> While I 100% agree, one thing I really cant stand, is when 3rd party
> vendors, DISABLE WARNINGS in their code, and don't re-enable them when
> their code exits (Im looking at you Qt).

I thought we stopped doing that.

Of course, when we disabled them altogether on MSVC, people complained that suddenly their code began producing nonsense warnings that had never been seen. So we brought back the disabling a set of reasonable warnings.

For everything else, we should leave the state exactly as we found it.
--

For my company, when I first joined, the Idea of compiled with -Werror (or the equiv on VC++) was so far down the road, that I thought it would never be possible.  We had close to 5000 warnings between windows and linux.

We had been slowly cleaning up the code, and got one compiler after another to compile clean :)  What I had noticed, was that my windows was cleaning up differently.. and that's when I dug deaper and found the disable pragmas inside the Qt code.

I have no problem with the Qt experts, saying, this warning HERE in THIS line of code is dumb, and we have confirmed its OK.. But it was very frustrating to have all of our Qt based code have various warnings disabled ;(

This was under a Qt 4 would, so maybe it has been fixed in Qt5, I don't know, since I manually put in #pragma push/pops around all Qt includes to fix the issue..

Scott