[Interest] QtLocation Map Widget

Blasche Alexander alexander.blasche at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jul 29 11:23:22 CEST 2015

Hi Igor,

>I've looked into the code of new QtLocation module and it's QML
>components and I came to the conclusion that it's not very difficult to
>implement such widget and all another stuff to show map and items on the
>map as Qt widget. But...

Michal even started work on it:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/115647/

but other things like bugs prevented this work form continuing.

>I found that such implementation will be tied to the private QtLocation
>headers. I wanted to implement GeoMap and Items as part of the
>QtMWidgets library. But...
>
>I don't want to tie on the private Qt's headers in this library. So I
>can't to implement GeoMap right now. And I don't know what to do.
>
>  * Is it possible to open QtLocation C++ stuff, I mean headers, for
>example, of QGeoMappingManager?

With the recent reactivation of QtLocation development there have been a lot changes in the private headers. Until those headers settle down we won't make them public. A public header that changes is of no use to you either.

>  * Is it possible to implement GeoMap widget in Qt internally and allow
>to choose between QML and Widgets?

That's definitely possible and contributions are welcome. THis has the side benefit that (once it is in) it becaomes part of the maintained offering and private header changes will have to be accompanied by similar fixes to this new QGeoMap widget.

>  * Is this list good to ask such questions, or better to ask in
>developer's list, and is it ok to ask in developer's list such questions.

If this becomes an effort to add the widget to the QtLocation library then the dev list is more appropriate. However I would expect that the discussion would move to gerrit fairly soon after though.

--
Alex