[Interest] [ Android ] Creating task that runs in background when app not in foreground or device sleeping?

Stanislav Baiduzhyi baiduzhyi.devel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:53:07 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Edward Sutton
<edward.sutton at subsite.com> wrote:
> My Qt widget app has Bluetooth connection that broadcasts GPS NMEA data to a
> connected device.
>
> How can I maintain this connection streaming GPS data when app is not in
> foreground or device is in sleep?
>
> Is it even possible to run Qt C++ code on Android in the background?
>
> Does Qt have any example for this?
>
> Is a Background Service what I need?
>
> Creating a Background Service
> https://developer.android.com/training/run-background-service/create-service.html
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips or direction,

Yes, Qt application for android is a normal android application, so
you really need service. I was trying to do something like that last
year, the most convenient way I've found was to open the builded
project in Android Studio, fix the gradle errors, then change all you
need to make it a service. But by that time you need your Qt part
already working. I was stuck on the front-end side though, so dropped
the idea to use Qt for normal applications.